Thursday, July 6, 2017

Meet Robert K. Moore

Mr. Robert K. Moore is 49 years old and currently incarcerated at Upstate Correctional Facility in Malone, NY.  On January 19, 2014, Mr. Moore was arrested in Wyandanch, NY, a hamlet of Babylon, NY in Long Island. He was subsequently tried and convicted of Attempted Murder 2 and Assault 1 in the Suffolk County Criminal Court. His release date is set for April of 2029.



On the evening of January 19, 2014, Robert Moore and his girlfriend were returning to their home in Dix Hills, NY after attending a party. Mr. Moore stopped at a gas station on "Straight Path", the main drag in Wyandanch. Straight Path was a familiar to Robert as an area where crimes occurred regularly. While stopped at the gas station, Mr. Moore began to open the trunk of his car in order to retrieve his girlfriend's pocket book. Suddenly, an individual later identified as Solomon Myailtha ("Africa") came from behind a parked white van. Mr. Myailtha removed a three-foot length of fence post from the van. The fence post had black electrical tape wrapped around the handle. While Mr. Moore's back was turned, Myailtha struck Mr. Moore on the back of his head with the steel pipe. Mr. Moore fought back. The police were called to the scene, and Mr. Moore was arrested, charged with Assault in the 3rd degree, shortly upgraded to Assault 2. Mr. Moore was held in the Suffolk County Jail until his arraignment, due to bail being set at $1,000,000.  The entire incident was captured on video tape. Robert Moore sat in Riverhead County Jail for 16 months awaiting trial.

The trial judge, William Condon, offered Robert a sentence of three years if Robert would plead guilty to charges of Attempted Murder 2 and Assault 1 (defined as an assault with an intention to kill). Believing in his innocence stemming from simply defending himself against a violent attack, Robert rejected this offer, and asked for a trial. Represented by Suffolk County Legal Aid, Robert was convicted and sentenced to 18 years.


A NOTE FROM ROBERT K. MOORE:

My name is Robert Moore. I am 49 years old. I grew up in Suffolk County on Long Island, in Wyandanch, NY, until my parents moved to North Babylon, NY, where I enrolled in Deer Park School System, graduating high school in 1986. My family owned and operated Moore's Taxi Service since 1968. After graduation, I worked in the electrical field. In 2010 I attended Career Institute of Health & Technology where I became certified in Residential Electrics. I started my own light construction business. I have 6 children, 3 step-children and 4 grandchildren, one of which is starting kindergarten in the fall. I am so proud and would love to be there to see them grow, since they are not babies for very long. I love cooking and baking, and I love to travel.

If anyone reading this still believes in justice (not the justice system), and believes that everyone should have an equal opportunity at justice, I am asking for their support. I am seeking to raise funds in order to hire Mr. Robert Boyle as my attorney.


A NOTE FROM WILL DUCHON:

As many followers of Shane Watson's case know, Mr. Robert Boyle has been Shane's attorney throughout our efforts to exonerate Shane, and is willing to take on Robert Moore's defense in his attempt to receive a new trial or an appeal. This case is new to me, and I will continue to share details of the case, but after reviewing the trial transcripts and police records, Mr. Boyle feels that this is a miscarriage of justice, as do I. The Opus 30 Mission is seeking $3000 in order to retain Mr. Boyle. I will be setting up a GoFundMe page for Robert Moore which will be linked to this blog. Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment

A Phone Call from Upstate Correctional Facility

My phone rang at 5:51 PM. The caller ID read "Garden City, NY".  It was Amy, Robert Moore's girlfriend, who asked if I'...