- Whites: 409 per 100,000
- Latinos: 1,038 per 100,000
- Blacks: 2,468 per 100,000
- Females: 134 per 100,000
- Males: 1,384 per 100,000
- White males: 736 per 100,000
- Latino males: 1,862 per 100,000
- Black males: 4,789 per 100,000
- For White males ages 25-29: 1,685 per 100,000.
- For Latino males ages 25-29: 3,912 per 100,000.
- For Black males ages 25-29: 11,695 per 100,000. (That's 11.7% of Black men in their late 20s.)
- Why do you think prisoners are by far Black and Latino males?
- Have you known anyone who has spent time in
jail or prison? If so, what are your perceptions of this person? If not,
what image do you have of a “prisoner” or “convict”?
‘For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? ‘And when did we see you a stranger, and invite you in, or naked, and clothe you? ‘When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?’ “The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of mine, even the least of them, you did it to me.’
“Is this not the fast which I choose, to loosen the bonds of wickedness, to undo the bands of the yoke, And to let the oppressed go free and break every yoke?
“Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into the house; when you see the naked, to cover him; and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?
“Then your light will break out like the dawn, and your recovery will speedily spring forth; and your righteousness will go before you; the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
“Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’
Fishkill Correctional Facility
Beacon, NY 12508